Current:Home > StocksPlan to recover "holy grail" of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank -GrowthInsight
Plan to recover "holy grail" of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:54:27
More than three centuries after the legendary San Jose galleon sank off the coast of Colombia while laden with gold, silver and emeralds, the nation has officially approved a plan to recover the wreck and its treasures, officials announced this week.
Dubbed the "holy grail" of shipwrecks, the 316-year-old wreck has been controversial since it was discovered in 2015, because it is both an archaeological and economic treasure -- estimated to be worth billions of dollars.
"For the first time in history, a model of comprehensive public management of the archaeological site and asset of cultural interest, protected by regulations and public missionality, is advanced," the Colombian government said in a news release Tuesday.
Colombian will invest more than $1 million in the recovery process, which is expected to get underway next month, officials said.
Last month, Culture Minister Juan David Correa told Agence France-Presse that an underwater robot would be sent to recover some of its bounty.
Between April and May, the robot would extract some items from "the surface of the galleon" to see "how they materialize when they come out (of the water) and to understand what we can do" to recover the rest of the treasures, said Correa.
The robot will work at a depth of 600 meters to remove items such as ceramics, pieces of wood and shells "without modifying or damaging the wreck," Correa told AFP aboard a large naval ship.
The location of the expedition is being kept secret to protect what is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds in history from malicious treasure hunters.
The San Jose galleon was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
The ship had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, laden with treasures such as chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, it was long sought after by treasure hunters.
The expedition to start recovering the shipwreck's trove comes as a case is underway at the UN's Permanent Court of Arbitration between Colombia and the U.S.-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which claims it found the wreck first over 40 years ago.
In June 2022, Colombia said that a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage.
The video showed the best-yet view of the treasure that was aboard the San Jose — including gold ingots and coins, cannons made in Seville in 1655 and an intact Chinese dinner service.
At the time, Reuters reported the remotely operated vehicle also discovered two other shipwrecks in the area, including a schooner thought to be from about two centuries ago.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Colombia
- San Jose
veryGood! (4)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Transcript: Ukrainian first lady Olena Zelenska on Face the Nation, Sept. 24, 2023
- Texas Walmart shooter agrees to pay more than $5M to families over 2019 racist attack
- With a government shutdown just days away, Congress is moving into crisis mode
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Prominent Thai human rights lawyer accused of insulting the king receives a 4-year prison term
- South Korean opposition leader appears in court for hearing on arrest warrant for alleged corruption
- WGA Reached A Tentative Deal With Studios. But The Strike Isn't Over Yet
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Iconic female artist's lost painting is found, hundreds of years after it was created
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- New cars are supposed to be getting safer. So why are fatalities on the rise?
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Spotted Together for First Time After Kansas City Chiefs Game
- Woman falls 150 feet to her death from cliff in North Carolina
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Nelson Mandela's granddaughter dies at 43
- Call for sanctions as homophobic chants again overshadow French soccer’s biggest game
- Canada House speaker apologizes for praising veteran who fought for Nazis
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Column: Ryder Cup is in America’s head. But it’s in Europe’s blood
Video shows landmark moment when sample of asteroid Bennu touches down on Earth
Manslaughter charges thrown out in Michigan prisoner’s death
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Man brings gun and knives into a Virginia church service after vague online threats, police say
Thailand receives the first Chinese visitors under a new visa-free policy to boost tourism
Firefighter’s 3-year-old son struck and killed as memorial walk for slain firefighters was to begin